Blue Green Algae Control
- Industry: Recreational Ponds
- Product: Air Lift Dredge
- Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
As part of the Rosser Park pond improvement project with the Gold Coast City Council, we undertook the process of sludge management and removal and blue-green algae control.
We faced some challenges in the early stages with regards to positioning and operation of the rope winch, pond bottom profiling along with a steep sloping bottom (making tracking difficult) as well as there being various unknown submerged hazards on the pond floor.
- pH 6.0 – 7.0 sediment
- pH 6.2 – 9.5 water
- Av Depth 104 mm at 7.0% ww
- Total P 2.58 mg/L average
- Total N 11.46 mg/L average
Our 12 month contract was successful in not only removing the sludge with minimal impact on the surrounds, but also in removing the blue-green algae. The algae has not returned since.
- Gently remove sludge with little impact on water quality
- Easy operations
- Semi unmanned
- Minimum pond floor disturbance
- Quiet (we even had birds riding on the Air Lift Dredge while in operation)
- Acceptable equipment presence and aesthetics
- Safe for the public
- No odour
- Flood management
- No polymer dosing of sediment or sludge
- Onsite disposal – reuse of sludge and sediments